The next day I posted this update (‘Why CIO’s Need to Change Their Role’) on the Boardroom Metrics CEO blog. It contains my learning and thoughts from the evening.
Some key thoughts:
- Somehow, too many CIO’s have become content being relegated to cost-center, execution-leader status.
- Furthermore, they see the tactical issues they face as being somehow unique – that the execution details in IT somehow make them different from what every other department in the Company has to face.
- It’s time for CIO’s (and frankly, CEO’s) to wake up!
- Every department faces difficult tactical issues – IT is NOT unique.
- And, If CIO’s want to get the CEO’s attention, it’s time they started working on stuff the CEO cares about.
- To do that, it’s time that CIO’s learn the business
IT is too valuable strategically to be relegated to cost-center, execution-only status. CIO’s who accept that fate hurt themselves – and their Companies.
Check out the blog for more insight.