If you want be an interim manager, here’s what you’ll need:
- A network. Nothing has changed. Who you know matters. More than anything.
- A story. What are you selling? How is it transferable? How can you help?
- Some tools. Silver bullets sell. They show knowledge, expertise and provide comfort that things could work out even if you don’t.
- (Positive)Web visibility. When your name comes up for the job, others on the management team and Board will want to check you out. You need to be there: LinkedIn for sure. Then Twitter, Blog, Youtube.
- References. Demonstrate you can start fast, be creative, get the job done. Post them on LinkedIn.
- Competitive pricing. Yeah, some interim managers are making a couple thousand a day. The other 98% aren’t. Be realistic.
- A contract. A promise that you will do the job, keep things confidential and what happens if you decide to part company.
- A sense of humor. There’s lots of need out there. Tapping it takes perseverance.
We can help. Boardroom Metrics provides a branded home, services and a network for finding and creating interim management, consulting and other work opportunities.